The Computer Misuse and Cybercrimes Act of 2018 (CMCA) was assented on 16th May 2018 and enacted on 30th May, 2018.
CMCA provides for offences relating to computer systems; to enable timely and effective detection, prohibition, prevention, response, investigation, and prosecution of computer and cybercrimes; to facilitate international cooperation in dealing with computer and cybercrime matters, and for connected purposes.
The objectives of CMCA as provided by law include:
- Protect the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of computer systems programs and data.
- Prevent the unlawful use of computer systems.
- Facilitate the prevention, detection, investigation, prosecution, and punishment of cybercrime.
- Protect the rights to privacy, freedom of expression, and access to information as guaranteed under the Constitution.
- Facilitate international co-operation on matters covered under this Act.
- Unauthorized Access, Interference, and Interception to ICT Systems
- Illegal Devices and Access Codes
- Cyber Espionage
- False Publications and Publication of False Information
- Child Pornography
- Computer Fraud and Forgery
- Cyber Harassment
- Identity Theft and Impersonation
- Cyberterrorism and Sabotage
- Aiding or abetting in the commission of an offence
- Any other Computer and Cyber Crimes as provided for in all laws of Kenya