Wi-Fi is a wireless networking technology that allows devices such as computers, mobile devices, and IoT devices to interface with the Internet to exchange information with one another, creating a network. Internet router is the gateway to Internet access and is prone to exploits by cybercriminals who can sneak into our devices and get access to our system.
Security tips for public hotspots and home Wi-Fi
- Verify the legitimacy of a wireless connection.
- Use a VPN (a virtual private network) to mask your IP address.
- Do not use mobile phones to access online shopping websites.
- Protect your device against cyber-attacks by use of anti-malware.
- Set a strong and unique password to secure your wireless network.
- Change the default name and don’t broadcast your SSID (Service Set Identifier).
- Turn off your Wi-Fi when not in use.
- Disable remote access to the router.
- Use a Firewall to secure your Wi-Fi.
- Change your default IP address on the Wireless router.